Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A few old Notes: My book and Heart


Now that it's really down to the last few days of school, i am realizing that i am running out of time to complete all my blogs, for quite some time I've been taking down notes on things that i planned to blog about but have continually pushed them back. trading in my tomorrows for today- so to speak. but i don't really have any more tomorrows so today I'm going to start to get all the things i need to say typed and online so here we go...
Quite some time ago we were all invited to watch Dr. Sexson film My Book and Heart Shall Never Part. Needless to say (well not really otherwise i wouldn't say it-thats quite a dumb way to start a sentence) but i was amazed. What a great film, a great cast and...of course great narration. One of the major things i took away from this was that, throughout our lives the books we read teach us many things, while some of the examples in the film like getting crushed by carts appear to be a little over the top, it is important to recognize the significant roll books have all played in our lives.
Now this theory, whether it is supported by the film i cannot say for sure, seems to go against, at least in part to some of the things that Frye tells us. That one famous line, "if the reading the work makes you depressed, there is something wrong with the reader or the work itself" (something like that) well i understand his point, that we should not feel sad or angry because the book is living out the experience rather than us physically. Maybe I'm just soft or permeable but i can't deny that i have left a book feeling sad, or any of the vast array of human emotions. How can one not be? after reading Lonesome Dove, a book that i felt as much a part of as my every day life (due in part to its length) i was devastated and upset and the end. (why didn't he just tell him he was his dad? i dont get it...still). I dont see how Frye could see fault in that, a good piece of literature should make us feel. isn't that the point? like these children's books, the books i read now teach me many things, they shape the way i function in the world and the way the world functions for me. Is that wrong Northrop? is there something wrong with me? or did i just miss something from you?

No comments: